Each of the C program is a collection of instructions and even every instruction is a collection of some individual units. These individual smallest unit is known as tokens. Every instruction in a c program is a collection of tokens and they are the basic building blocks of any c program.
In a C program token may contain the following:
In a C program, collection of all keywords, identifiers, operators, special symbols, constants, string , and data values are called tokens.
- Keywords are like reserve word in c with a predefined meaning which is already known to the compiler.
- There are total 32 keywords in C.
- They are also known as reserved words.
Properties of Keywords:
- All the keywords in C programming language are defined as lowercase letter.
- They cannot be used for naming a variable, function, array , pointer etc.
- Some predefined function associated with each keywords and this cannot be modified.
Keyword in C:
- Identifiers are name given to variables, constant, functions and user-defined data such as array, pointer, structure, etc.
- In other words it can be defined as the user-defined name to identify an entity uniquely in the C programming language.
These identifiers must follow certain rules, those are as follows:
- An identifier can only have alphanumeric characters(a-z, A-Z, 0-9) and underscore(_).
- The first character of an identifier can only contain alphabet(a-z, A-Z) or underscore (
- They are case-sensitive that is “name” and “Name” are two different identifiers.
- No special characters, such as a semicolon, period, whitespaces, slash, or comma are permitted to be used in or as an Identifier.
here “int” is a keyword and “var” is an identifier.
Categories: C Language
Leave a Reply